When is mediation right for you?
Mediation is a process that is effective when there is:
- An ongoing relationship between family and school representatives
- A need for privacy
- A need for creative and flexible solutions
- A desire to retain control over the outcome rather than having a third party make the decision
Under special education law, mediation may be used for disputes involving:
- Individualized Education Program (IEP)
- Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)
Mediation is most effective when used early in a dispute.